The Planning & Zoning Commissionfor the City of Live Oak is overseen by Jordan Matney, Assistant City Manager.
The Planning and Zoning Department's mission is to ensure that Live Oak remains a vibrant and sustainable city by partnering with decision makers and the community to balance the City’s needs and interests while addressing growth and change. The Planning and Zoning Commission is responsible for recommending to the Council the creation and modification of zoning districts, as well as reviewing and approving all land plats submitted for filing with Bexar County. They also cooperate with Development Services and Economic Development regarding needs in city development. All Zoning cases and Specific Use Permits heard by the Commission will have public hearings, and citizens are encouraged to attend and voice their views on the cases. The Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council may have an opportunity to schedule a public hearing date and those dates vary and are subject to change. Please contact Donna Lowder at 210-653-9140, extension 2219, to ensure that the dates shown on the website are current. See Forms and Reports section to the right of this page for all applications.
The Planning and Zoning Commission consists of nine members (5 Regular Members and 4 Alternate Members) and serve a valuable purpose for the City. The meetings are typically scheduled for the last Thursday of each month at 6:00 p.m. All meetings are held at City Hall in the Council Chambers.
Commissioner duties include:
- To identify community needs and to advise the City Council of their short-range and long-range implications for the total development of the City.
- To recommend achievable community goals as a basis for long-range planning and development programs.
- To recommend plans, programs, and policies that will aid the entire community in achieving its defined goals.
- To interpret the adopted plans and programs to concerned citizens so that private activities and desires may be accomplished in harmony with public needs and policies.
Forms and Reports
2018 Fee Schedule
Board-Commission Volunteer Application
Final Plat App & Checklist
Master Sign Plan
Preliminary Plat App & Checklist
Preliminary RePlat App & Checklist
Special Use Permit
Subdivision Plat Info & Application
Subdivision Re-Plat Info & Application
Traffic Impact Analysis Worksheet
Tree & Landscape Preservation App & Checklist
Tree & Landscape Preservation Applicaiton
Click here for meeting Agendas & Minutes
The City of Live Oak is now soliciting RFQ for both a Park Plan and a Comprehensive Plan. Please see attached PDF files for additional information and submittal requirements.
City Comprehensive Plan
The Comprehensive Plan is intended to provide background (historical) information, a foundation of facts regarding the City of Live Oak, and documentation of the physical and demographic characteristics of the community. The information contained within the following chapters will be used to formulate goals and objectives pertaining to various aspects of the community, and will prove useful in generating the final recommendations of the Comprehensive Plan for Live Oak.
The identification of major issues within the community began early in the comprehensive planning process, and served as a basis for creating the following components of this analysis:
- Historical Background
- Regional Relationship
- Influence of Regional Factors
- Population Characteristics: City and County
- Physical Factors Influencing Development
- Existing & Future Land Use
Live Oak City Comprehensive Plan:
(The following files are large and may take several minutes to download)
- Chapter 1-Baseline Analysis
- Chapter 2-Goals and Objectives
- Chapter 3-Future Land Use Plan
- Chapter 4-Thoroughfare Plan
- Chapter 5-Neighborhood & Business Enhancement
- Chapter 6-Implementation
- ( Zip File for download ) Full City Comprehensive Plan
Jordan Matney, Assistant City Manager, 210-653-9140 , EXT. 2286
Donna Lowder, Executive Assistant, 210-653-9140, EXT. 2219
Code of Ethics
We abide by the Code of Ethics established by the American Institute of Certified Planners. We are a member of the Texas Chapter of the American Planning Association. For more information about the American Planning Association, please visit their site here.
Planning and Zoning Commission
As a Planning and Zoning Commissioner, I hereby pledge to maintain ethical standards by ensuring that all issues brought before me are properly aired without undue influence or impropriety in fact or appearance. I shall also strive to ensure that my decisions will promote the entire community’s best interests over the long term. In so doing, I will always endeavor to:
- Serve the public interest by:
- Recognizing the rights of citizens to participate in planning decisions by expanding the choice and opportunity for all persons.
- Giving all citizens full, clear and accurate information.
- Assisting in the clarification of community goals.
- Ensuring that information available to decision makers is also available to the public, as appropriate.
- Protecting the natural and the built environment.
- Paying special attention to the interrelatedness of decisions and the long range consequences of present actions.
- Strive to achieve high standards of integrity and proficiency by:
- Exercising fair, independent and honest judgment.
- Publicly disclosing any personal interests in a matter being brought before the Commission.
- Define any personal interest broadly.
- Abstaining from participation in a matter in which I have a personal interest as defined in the Municipal Charter, Code of Ordinances, Chapter 171 of the Texas Local Government Code or to a higher standard as determined by my own personal values.
- Seeking no gifts or favors.
- Not using confidential information to further a personal interest.
- Not disclosing confidential information.
- Not misrepresenting facts or distorting information.
- Not participating in any matter unless prepared.
- Respecting the rights of all persons.
Commission Members Rules & Roster
Terms of Office and Election Rules:
Members: Membership shall consist of five (5) voting members and at least two (2) but not more than four (4) alternate members who are qualified electors of the City.
Terms: Appointment of both regular and alternate members shall be for a period of two (2) years. The term of two (2) of the regular members and two (2) alternate members shall expire on October first of each odd numbered year and the terms of three (3) of the regular members and two (2) alternate members shall expire on October first of each even numbered year.
Alternates: An alternate will be selected to serve as a voting member when a member is absent. When an alternate hears and deliberates an action brought before the Commission, that alternate shall retain that seat until the action has been decided or disposed of.
- A regular or alternate member who is absent three (3) consecutive meetings without an excuse shall be subject to replacement by City Council.
- A regular or alternate member who is absent from five (5) consecutive meetings whether excused or not shall be asked by the Chairperson to resign so that another citizen able to serve may be appointed to the Commission by the City Council.
Officers: There shall be a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and Secretary.
Elections: Election of officers shall be held the first meeting following the beginning of the regular term of appointment in October of each year. Officers assume duties at the next regular meeting. The Secretary may be a sitting member of the Commission or a member of staff as determined by the Commission.
Terms of Office: Shall be one year. No member currently serving as Chairperson or Vice-Chairperson shall be nominated to succeed him if he/she has served more than two successive one (1) year terms.
Any citizen interested in becoming a volunteer with the Planning & Zoning Commission should contact Debby Goza at 210-653-9140, extension 2213 or Donna Lowder at extension 2219.
The City of Live Oak Zoning Map can be accessed by downloading the PDF file. You can download or open the file by clicking here.