Certificate of Occupancy

    Commercial Certificate of Occupancy

    All Commercial Businesses in the City of Live Oak are required to apply for and obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. A Certificate of Occupancy Application is available for download under "Permits and Inspections" or a link is provided below.

    When is a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) Required?

    No building or structure shall be used or occupied, and no change of existing occupancy classification, change in business ownership, tenant occupancy, or building square footage shall be made until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by the Building Official. A Certificate of Occupancy Application should be submitted when any of the following occur:

    • Your business is locating to a new address within Live Oak
    • Your existing Live Oak business is undergoing remodeling which will increase or decrease the square footage of the business address
    • The business name has changed
    • The business is sold to another person or entity.
    • Management changes are made which would affect the points of contact previously listed for the business. Depending upon the circumstance, the application fee may be waived.

    What Information is Required for the "C of O" Application?

    • Business Name
    • Business Address
    • Name of Occupant
    • Identification of Owner(s)-copy of Drivers License
    • State License for the type of business-ie, cosmetology, massage therapy, or spa licenses, and liquor licenses
    • Business Phone Number/Emergency Phone Number
    • Type of Occupancy
    • Square Footage
    • Number of Stories of Building
    • Number of Employees
    • E-mail address
    • Contract Lease Agreement with Owner or Management Co. for the property.

    Will There Be An Inspection Required Before My Business Opens?

    Yes. A Fire inspection and Building inspection will be required before your business is allowed to open doors to the public. If the business or building is undergoing construction, the General Contractor must obtain all final construction inspections before requesting the Certificate of Occupancy inspection. All life, health and safety inspections will be completed by the Fire Department. A Knox Box is also required at all Commercial locations so that the Fire Department may gain access to your building without damaging property. Knox Box applications are available in Development Services. These applications are generally given to the General Contractor at the beginning of any commercial finish out.

    The responsible party filing the Certificate of Occupancy Application will be required to schedule the Certificate of Occupancy and Fire Inspection at least twenty-four (24) hours in advance by calling 210-653-9140, extension 2244 or 2386.

    How Long Does It Take To Get A Certificate of Occupancy?

    This will depend on the results of the inspection and whether there are any code violations or life safety issues that need correcting prior to occupancy.

    Am I Allowed To Occupy The Business Before I Obtain The Certificate of Occupancy?

    It may be possible for the Building Official/Inspectors to authorize a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy on a case-by-case basis following the inspection process. For example: A Temporary C of O (30 days) may be authorized by the inspectors for the purpose of training new personnel, or correcting small repairs/corrections to the space.

    Monitored Alarm Systems

    If your business utilizes an alarm system (silent alarms, medical alert, fire alarms, security alarm, panic alert, etc.) which will notify 911 during an emergency, you will need to notify the Live Oak Police Department. An Alarm Permit Application is available for download by visiting the Police Department web page.